Friday 18 March 2016

My Turn!

Hey RO and LA!

Thanks heaps for the work on the mag cover collage. Looking so nice, and I am personally stoked to see FOMO back in all hxr glory!

I made some text changes and responses. I tried to get some colour balance back with the pink and purple (I really liked the kind of all-over colour of the original poster, because it makes the whole thing flatter), this also allowed me to reduce the mag covers that will need to be created by one!

The rotated brush is now in the top left, and I have done a little bit of 'cass' damage control without loosing little snippets of the great colours in the work.

I also added a barcode and let the title of THEIR wander off the page.

Maybe the whole image could shift down a bit, and the "Available anywhere" could go back to the top?



Some Newz 

This is the text I used for the section on the left:

SPOONERISMS!
PARANOID CAMP!
TOOTHLESS MOUTHS!
CONFESSIONAL MODES!
RECOOPERATION  OF FORMER IDENTITY?
LOST ARCHIVE POSITIVISM? 
ONLINE IS THE NEW DROP IN!

With Triangle:



Without Triangle:



Playing around with the balance and focus, purple red yellow green black. One thing I notice in this image is the absence of gradient. I am resisting the urge to make the Available everywhere banner purple red yellow green black. Hmn. I really like the new centre piece! 


more space?

Liz, Really like the colour fades and the yellow Leading Lxdy Saught text, which really clarifies the focus of the central image. 




Just for comparison's sake, and not strictly a proposed image, something to tease out the kind of call-out we're doing. This one's a little, um, ecstatic... (in some contexts, in others border-line rom-com?)

On the whole, I like the conceptual relation of the clothes pile to the search for the Leading Lxdy, it's like they sent their dirty laundry to do their stunt work.... it is a little on the disembodied side, though... which I like, though also am interested in the incoherent self embodied... maybe by that I just mean pleasure... the lipstick is in this vein, though does it mean we're advertising for a lipstick 'type'. Too binary? That doesn't sit well with an open casting call...  however, I do like a bit of rom-com sex appeal in relation to the mag cover vibe...

These are my final discussion points I think, otherwise I'm thinking we go with the clothes pile as of the most recent iteration.

MS new version:

An attempt to simplify more! And do do a little Man Alone modernist painting F+ historical grading. 




24 comments:

  1. I jumped into the mix! The other note about the image would be to add the drop shadow back in the top right edge of the FOMO image. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and maybe the star wars-style text on the left could be replaced with a second appearance of the PART's cover, so keeping it all mag covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the return of the red/purple balance! I've been wondering what makes me feel like I have a bunch of haircut clippings in my shirt about the main lxdy now, since her beheading (for which I take full responsibility) she's looking a bit objectified, a bit dismembered. A bit sexualised torso... I don't know what the soulution is for that, perhaps we can try the brush as replacement legs and heads? Or just the brush? Or?

    I also want to stay focused on the 'Seeking Leading Lxdy's' message, and also on the text (whether it's in star wars form or flat to the picture plane) that refers to the things we have garnered about the site, conditions, relationship to outside of ourselves/our visual language into a more common queerness, happening or projected... Do you RO and MS feel the same? Or do you have alternative messages that you would like to foreground? Such as the Fo.mo? And what meaning do they have for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Marnie! Also really love the return of the colour balance. This is feeling like the image is just about there. I think we need an alternative to the fomo lady pulling her shirt down - like one of our own garments, or piles of clothing, or that image of the bare-breasted lady opening the curtains... or the hair from the work that'll be on North Projects gate... something that conveys Leading Lxdy but that's totally AtCS. I'll be back on board for some more image making in the morning - going to have an early night! As in already in bed. So excited!!! xxxR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liz and Rachel. All super good feedback, and Liz, thanks for the reminder about focussing on the text. It's really the key 'point' of this image in the series. I think it's totally correct to question the body politics at play in the image, and this was something in the back of my mind from the beginning of this project, 'cause there could be such a singular figurative aim for the work (a search for one person to star in a film), but we are always fragmenting, multiplying, and/or pointing to the absence of figures in the work that we make. What about the pile of clothes and arm that we used wwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back for the lightboxes? I will have a little play around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, I really like that idea, AtCS queerstock ahoy! And thanks to CN who was my phone-a-friend conversation partner for thinking through the body politics yesterday. I agree Rach, the image is soooo close. Looking forward to the next version MS..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whooop! My feedback in the form of another version xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super! Maybe some tweaking on the black triangle colour and/or position? Also love the idea of adding colour to the banner! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure this is an improvement but the aim was to increase the focus on the absence in the frame within the frame. XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feeling it MS and LA! Just for comparison's sake, and not strictly a proposed image, something to tease out the kind of call-out we're doing. This one's a little, um, ecstatic... (in some contexts, in others border-line rom-com?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. loving this new graphic.s for the moodbaord mag cover layouts. liking the return of the clothes hyperbola from the first lightbox project. i like available everywhere" at the top and am for trying a couplke of colour options for the final proofs. return of eileen myles, like! especially alongside rita angus/cook/mackenzie***

    Regarding the Fomo disembodiment, I have the same reaction as Liz to missing heads etc Two ideas owuld be to have just the Fo.Mo t-shirt shiloette (and shorts) and place on top.
    But, I think perhaps we could get the Fomo back in a different way by inserting the Fomo Herstory poster on the wall in the background of the clothes hyperbola image.

    ***
    "1934
    During the winter months she developed a faulty heart valve and was nursed by Jean Angus: ‘I was seriously ill and five days on the verge of dying.’3 After her recovery she and her husband decided to separate. Later in the year she began to earn her living as a commercial artist, ‘learning to be one, and adjust myself without home, hostel or marriage to protect me’.4 In her private life she adopted the name ‘Rita Mackenzie’ (after her grandmother’s maiden name), but continued to sign her pictures ‘Rita Cook’."
    "1947–48[...] After seventeen years of signing her paintings ‘Rita Cook’, she changed her signature to ‘Rita Angus’."

    —'Rita Angus Chronology', Rita Angus: Life and Vision, William McAloon and Jill Trevelyan (ed), Te Papa Press, Wellington, 2008 (Reproduced by kind permission of the Authors and Te Papa Press), http://www.ritaangus.com/bio.html (accesssed 20 March 2016)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps. A small progress update, I am slightly behind on the preparation of the graphics, but am on task and on focus today — the aim is to get all the proofs up today. I will start working on this graphic around 5pm tonight, so could everyone pre-empt and please start transferring their latest mockup versions on the dropbox or we transfer. I have a copy of all the files currently on Dropbox so feel free to delete what is there. Physics Room stairwell proof will be online soon — aiming for a final print file to be sent for midday Monday (NZ time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Clare, that sounds most excellent. Upside down shaving brush in dropbox xxxR

      Delete
    2. Hey Clare. All my files for the mag cover collage are in the dropbox folder "drafts".

      Delete
    3. Hey Rachel, yes i got your amazingly prepared shaving brush! Thank you.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Cheers Rachel! I am going to upload all the files that may be useful to Clare for this now, as I have a commitment this afternoon. Liz, changes are in your hands!

      Delete
    2. Hey! Feeling good about the developments being brought back to some key sources and all the fav. elements gathering around the watering hole! Excitedly waiting on a new version from CN xxxx

      Delete
    3. Hey! This is now Marnie actually posting as Marnie (CN used my lappie for a little bit there). So, are you all cool to sign off on this as a draft? And to enter it into the CN magic file machine? xxxM (the real-ish one).

      Delete
  14. definitely, sign off from me!xxxR

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh great, this image is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete